I'm so tired of people asking me about my job search. They just care, I understand. It's exhausting telling people "No I haven't heard anything from anyone - No no interviews, no leads"
Trust me, you will hear it ring from the heavens when I get an interview. I don't even care if it's for working at Wendy's down the street! "What? You want to talk to me? Absolutely! No pay? I'll be right there"
Facebook, Twitter, text and phone calls - everyone will know! And then, I probably won't get the job... but the no-interview-glass-ceiling will have been broken. And it's all daisies from there :) right?
It's draining though, that's for sure. Now I've only been unemployed for 4 months (April 24th) but I've sent out over 150 resumes, most with cover letters and about 1/2 with work samples.
I've received less than 15 rejection letters, or hiring progress reports of any kind. I've inquired about the status of the job of ten positions after I've applied and received ONE reply with a staus and ONE saying please don't inquire. The majority of the postings say DO NOT CALL DO NOT EMAIL THIS WILL DISQUALIFY YOUR CHANCES FOR THE POSITION. And I completely understand their side of the deal. They don't want to have to answer 150+ phone calls a day of unemployed people convincing them that they're the best for the job. I wouldn't at least...
Another thing that almost offends me, but I know their intentions are good, are friends that ask if I've considered going back to school for something different. ????? I didn't realize that being laid off in the worst economic period since the depression meant I had to give up on my dreams and doing what I really love. Or even the friends that say (this was actually said to me) "Are applying to any job or are you still STUCK ON a design job?" Like they don't exist? Did they all disappear and someone didn't tell me? I know all the other markets are rainbows and butterflies too... Heck I have friends in medical jobs that can't find positions right now because all the hospitals are on hiring freezes.
All in all, I know it's just friends and family caring - I just wish there was something I could tell them.
Until the fated interview comes, I just keep applying, just keep applying
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hey, i just realized that you were following my blog which also enlightened me to yours. Anyway, I wanted to comment because your entry gave me a much needed jolt. The recession is not something one can control, on the contrary it is something that has mostly taken control of our lives. But impressively and inspiring is that you know what you want and you aren't willing to compromise that. That is passion and strength that I really envy and passion that will eventually show through and put you ahead at the end of this crisis. I'm glad you aren't compromising to the recession, it definitely jolted some passion/hope into me.
Good luck!
Post a Comment